Several folks have expressed that the church will not pay any attention to a petition. That may be true. Never-the-less, in and of itself, a petition can do a world of good. In fact, it has already done a world of good for many adults and children.
Incidentally, I believe that my church will pay attention to this initiative. They may not recognize it publicly. But, it is already on my church’s radar. Our public relations arm will be concerned. It will be discussed by Seventies and maybe reach the level of the Twelve. And, who knows, if enough people sign, changes just might be made.
In the meantime, the following wonderful benefits continue to accrue with each new signature.
- Standing up for our 12 year-old-self. We were violated, shamed and damaged by intrusive interview practices. As a child, we couldn’t stand up for ourselves. As an adult, we can speak up for our childhood-self by signing and commenting on the petition. This promotes self healing. Has this happened? Yes…PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- It is healing to witness someone speak out against the wrongs that were perpetrated on us. Many of us have kept the shame and humiliation bottled up inside; some for years, some for decades. It is therapeutic to see thousands openly state that these practices are unacceptable and wrong. Has this happened? Yes…PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- The wonderful Natasha Helfer Parker taught me this. “Being able to share your story in a safe place is part of the healing process.” Many short story narratives are retold in the comments section of this petition. Yes…PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- Victims can see that they are not alone in having been asked and then experiencing the consequences named in the petition. Yes…PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- Believe it or not, many members of the church have no idea what is happening to children behind the bishop’s closed door. I didn’t until 7 months ago. Has awareness been raised? Yes! PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- Awareness has been raised to the fact that parents have options. For example, a parent can insist that they be present during their children’s interviews. They can also insist that no sexual questions be raised. Has this happened? Yes! PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- Parents can see that they are not alone in their concerns regarding our youth interview process. PETITION SUCCESS!!!
Protection of Children
- Numerous parents have resolved never to allow these dangerous and shaming practices to be perpetrated on their children. Yes & Yes again!!! PETITION SUCCESS!!! HOORAY!!!
- Validation that parents are not alone in taking action for their children’s welfare. Right now there are 1,867 people who openly support these parents. PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- Bishops may be touched by the petition initiative. They might cease the practice. Or, seeing thousands of signatures may validate their current path of never asking children about masturbation. Has this happened? The numbers aren’t big. But, it has happened. Two sitting bishops have expressed appreciation for the petition initiative. One sent me this message, “I appreciate what you’re trying to do with the harmful interview practices in the church.” PETITION SUCCESS!!!
- The church could meet the demands of the petition. No petition success yet. But, we are only 1 1/2 weeks into the process.
SIGN…THE…PETITION! Click HERE.
Testimonials of masturbation interviews. Click HERE.
Testimonials of interviews about orgasm and sexual positions. Click HERE.
How to talk to your kids about masturbation. Click HERE.
Is masturbation a sin? Click HERE.